Welcome to my support page for RPG Maker 2000!
RPG Maker 2000 was first released in 2000 as an easy means to create games in a user-friendly format similar to classic JRPGs like Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger. New versions have since been released with more features and better graphics, so if you enjoy this platform, consider purchasing the newer versions (MV, VXAce).
RPG Maker 2000 is available on Steam (it regularly goes on sale) and in Humble Bundles!
RPG Maker’s lack of programming required makes it very user-friendly to create a game while allowing for dialogue-driven gameplay that provides an opportunity for creative writing and story-telling. In spite of the lack of programming required, many of the core concepts of game creation applies such as the creation of rooms (scenes) as well as providing a form of “code” to tell characters and sprites to behave a particular way.
Use the following videos and helper sheet to explore RPG Maker 2000. It is recommended that after completing each video on specific topics that you experiment with what you learned in that video. For example, after the Making a Map video, make the map yours and see how you can make it look better.
- Navigating RPG Maker and Making a Map
- Creating Maps and Transferring Player
- Creating NPCs (Non-Player Character) Events
- Shops, Inns, and Gaining Gold
- NPCs with Choices (and Playing BGMs)
- Making Your Character Jump
- Random Encounters and Fighting Enemies
- Improving your Maps: Parallax Backgrounds
- Database: Character
- Database: Enemies & Troops
- Database: Items
- Database: System
- Database: Tilesets
- Importing and Exporting: Music
- Importing and Exporting: Charsets and Facesets
- Story and Dialogue: Introducing the Story
- Character Selection
- Switches and Event Interaction
- Timers and “Racing”
Features from other RPG Makers that apply to RPG Maker 2000
Feel free to contact me if you have any suggestions for tutorials!